21 Ways to Your Best Filet Mignon
sauces and marinades
We’re about to turn the page on this year’s Filet Mignon Month.
You’ve learned a lot this month about Filet Mignon including: the specifics, how to cook one perfectly, and some tips from our team on how they cook them.
But before we switch gears into Tailgating Season, we want to give you some practical advice on how to finish Filet Mignon Month with a bang.
Once you are in possession of the world’s finest Filet Mignon, here are 21 ways to blow the roof off your steak eating experience:
Unique & Simple Filet Toppers: Once you’ve grilled up the perfect Filet Mignon, add an unexpected, unique flavor twist with one of these simple toppers.
- Basil Pesto – spread a spoonful of basil pesto on top of a hot, grilled Filet Mignon then top with diced tomato and shredded Parmesan cheese
- Blue Cheese – a little crumbled blue cheese sprinkled on top of a Filet Mignon is magical
- Horseradish – drizzle a hot Filet Mignon with a touch of horseradish sauce, then finish with a few chopped celery leaves
- Mexican Twist – spoon on fresh Pico de Gallo and crumbled Queso Fresco
- Fried Egg – sunny side up isn’t just for breakfast
- Caramelized Onions – caramelize some onions and mix in some bacon or prosciutto for good measure
- Ranch Style – everything is better with Ranch dressing and some crispy onion straws
- Greek Style – chop cucumbers, tomatoes and green onions – then sprinkle with tzatziki sauce
- Caprese Mix – chopped tomatoes, pearl-size Mozzarella and thinly sliced basil
Rubs: Dry rubs contain herbs, spices and other dry seasonings and add flavor to steaks. Paste rubs typically contain oil-based ingredients such as mustard, olive oil or crushed garlic. Here are some of our favorites.
- Southwest Style – Combine 2 tsp. sea salt, 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, 1 tsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. ground cumin, ½ tsp. garlic powder, ½ tsp. onion powder and ½ tsp. sweet smoked paprika in a small bowl.
- Bloody Mary – Combine 3 Tbsp. celery salt, 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire powder, 1 Tbsp. paprika, 1 Tbsp. horseradish powder, 2 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. granulated onion, 1 tsp. granulated garlic, 1 tsp. tomato powder, 1 tsp. brown sugar, ½ tsp. cayenne, ½ tsp. celery seeds, ¼ tsp. vinegar powder in a small bowl.
- Farmhouse – Combine 6 Tbsp. kosher salt, 2 Tbsp. onion powder, 2 Tbsp. garlic powder, 2 Tbsp. celery salt, 4 tsp. smoked paprika, 2 Tbsp. coarse ground black pepper, 2½ Tbsp. Turbinado sugar, 1 tsp. nutmeg in a small bowl.
Marinades: steaks can be marinated for flavor or tenderness. Tenderizing marinades must contain an acidic ingredient (wine, lemon or lime juice) or a natural tenderizing enzyme (ginger, pineapple, papaya) and a longer marinating time. Place steak(s) in a resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade into bag and seal. Marinate in refrigerator for up to 2 hours. Please keep in mind that over-marinating with acidic ingredients may make your Filet Mignon mushy.
- Garlic Herb – Combine ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, ¼ cup minced garlic, ¼ cup minced fresh oregano, 3 Tbsp. Fleur de Sel, 3 Tbsp. fresh ground black pepper, 1 red onion, sliced and ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce in small bowl.
- Mustard Jalapeno – Combine ½ cup vegetable oil, ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce, ¼ cup spicy brown mustard, 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, 1 small white onion, minced, 1 jalapeño pepper, minced, 1 Tbsp. salt and 1 garlic clove, minced in small bowl.
- Sweet & Spicy – Whisk together ½ cup soy sauce, 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, 1 Tbsp. hot mustard, 1 tsp. minced garlic, 1 tsp. sesame oil, ½ tsp. pepper, ½ tsp. red pepper flakes in a medium bowl.
Compound Butters: Compound butters are highly seasoned and a simple way to add flavor. Try one of our finishing butters or create your own. Shape butter into a log on wax paper. Fold paper over butter, twisting ends. Refrigerate for 2 hours. This can be frozen for later use. Slice thinly and put on freshly prepared Filet Mignon.
- Herbed Gorgonzola – In a food processor, finely chop ¹/³ cup (packed) flat leaf parsley and 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves. Add ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened; process until smooth. Add 3 oz. gorgonzola, 3 Tbsp. thinly sliced chives, ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper; pulse until blended.
- Spicy Chive – Combine ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened, 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives, ½ Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley, 1 tsp. garlic salt, ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper, ½ tsp. paprika, ½ tsp. red pepper flakes and, if desired, ½ tsp. curry and ½ tsp. chili powder in a small bowl.
- Pancetta Butter – Cook 2 to 3 slices pancetta or bacon and save the rendered fat. Chop the pancetta. Combine pancetta, reserved fat, ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened, 1 Tbsp. chopped shallot, 1 tsp. chopped parsley, ¼ tsp. chopped garlic, the juice and zest of 1 lemon in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chimichurri – Place 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, ²/³ cup sherry vinegar, 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, 1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano, 3 Tbsp. minced garlic, 2 Tbsp. minced shallot, 2 tsp. kosher salt, 1 tsp. cracked black pepper and ½ tsp. crushed red pepper in a food processor; pulse to finely chop. Reserve 1 cup to serve as sauce. Marinate steaks in remaining chimichurri for up to 2 hours before grilling.
- Wicked Wasabi Avacado – Place 1 avocado, peeled, cored and chopped, 1½ tsp. wasabi paste, 1 tsp. roasted garlic paste, 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp. sour cream, 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped, zest and juice of 1 lime, 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro and ½ tsp. smoked sea salt. Put ingredients into a blender; blend until desired creaminess. Season with salt to taste. Refrigerate until serving.
- Super Garlic – Place 6 cloves peeled garlic, ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil, ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbsp. white vinegar, 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce and 1 Tbsp. soy sauce in blender; process until smooth. Season with ground ginger, salt and black pepper to taste.
So which topper, rub, marinade or butter are you trying tonight? How about tomorrow night?
Happy Filet Mignon eating!